Sunday, December 4, 2011

Family Room Christmas Mantel

Two things I wanted most for my family room mantel were 1.  keep it simple and non-fussy (totally not like me) and 2.  it needed to have some sentimental value (like Christmas should, right?)

So, that being the case I set off to find what  I wanted to cram strategically place up there to meet my goals and to wow you all and to make it into the next Better Homes and Gardens magazine (giggling). 

So here you go...clean and simple with sentimental value....I'll explain.


The pinecone wreath has been stored away for a while.  My mother and I made it when I was in High School.  We wired all of the pinecones to a straw wreath base and hot glued other dried pods to add a little more texture.  I have always loved the wreath and since my mother passed 10 years ago from pancreatic cancer, I have had a hard time enjoying it in the Christmas decor without feeling a little sad.  BUT this year, I decided the wreath deserved to be placed in view...for all of our family to enjoy.  The frame surrounding it is one that my MIL shared with me and I have always loved its detailed corners.

Now for the little angels made from burlap cloth...I have always adored these.  We have had these in my family since I was a very little girl.  My sister and I used to play with them at Christmas and we would say that the biggest angel was my mother and the two little angels were me and my sister.  No, we weren't always little angels...but it was fun to pretend, right? lol


 I pulled all of the greenery and topiaries from other rooms where I crammed strategically placed other Christmas decor (that I will share later).  I wanted to keep the focus on these family treasures that I have dearly loved throughout the years. 

Do you have some family treasures that you like to decorate with? 

I am looking forward to seeing the other mantels out there in blogland.  I know there are going to be some REALLY fabulous ones. 

I hope to get my formal living room mantel done soon....so I will be back!  I'm linking up to:
Kristine

7 comments:

Tracy said...

Your mantel is gorgeous, I opted for a fairly simple arrangement as well. That is, compared to some of the ones I've been looking at! It's wonderful and completely fitting at Christmas that you have those sentimental items displayed to remind you of your loved ones. Have a beautiful Christmas!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

BEAUTIFUL!!

dee dee said...

Just beautiful!
Your wreath is fantastic, I love that you and your mom made it together!
Dee Dee

Savvy Seasons said...

Absolutely lovely! xo ~Liz

Pamela said...

How beautiful, warm and cozy! I could curl up in from that fireplace all day long! Thanx for coming to the party! Happy Holidays!

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

Love the simplistic approach to your mantel! It is beautiful! Where did you get the green orbs on the right side? So fresh looking!

Shelia said...

Your Mantel is so pretty! I love your simple approach! What a sweet way to honor the special memory of you and your mother making the pretty pinecone wreath by put it center stage of your mantel! ;)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)