Saturday, December 24, 2011

Chocolate Brick Cake...My Gift to YOU


Every Christmas my Mother would make this wonderful cake and I have treasured the recipe for many, many years.  I make it every Christmas and it reminds me of the wonderful Christmases with my Mom.  I always stored the recipe away never really wanting to share it with anyone for some reason.  This year as I was searching for my recipe card...it was nowhere to be found.  I searched and searched my recipe basket (I am not good at filing things) and it wasn't in there.  I found my mother's old recipe box and knew it would be in there.  I looked under "C" and sure enough she labeled that little file "Cookies and cakes".  In the very back of the file, I found it...no title, just the recipe.  She had it memorized and I do too for the most part, but I always check the ingredients to make sure.   The thought came to me as I was frantically searching for the recipe..."Who would I have shared the recipe with?"  And I told myself...(I told you I talk to myself)..."You didn't share it with anyone...cause you are selfish like that!" lol  So for security purposes, I am going to share it with you so that if I cannot find this recipe again, I can turn to you all and count on you having it.  So, are you ready?

Chocolate Brick Cake

1 Sara Lee Pound Cake (the smaller size)
If you want to double the icing recipe you can do the larger size pound cake.
Cut the cake in half long ways (horizontally),
and set it aside on a pretty oval platter
that you want to serve on.
The below pictures show you how
NOT to cut the cake...cut horizontally.
Ok, got it.



(picture from copykat.com)

Mmm. looks yummy.  Easy enough so far, right?

Now, the icing...

You need:

6 ounces of semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup boiling coffee

Blend these two ingredients in the blender.
If you want, you can melt the chocolate chips in the microwave first...
but the hot coffee helps to melt them too.

Add:
4 egg YOLKS
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 Stick of unsalted butter (softened)
I have used salted BTW and it was still really good.

Now for the delicious part:

1 Tablespoon Kahlua or Brandy (Cherry or Orange).
Refrigerate until spreading consistency and spread on pound cake between layers,
on top and all around.

Delicious.  I have just made the icing made and it is in the regrigerator.  I'll try to take a picture tomorrow and post the final results.  It really does look like a chocolate brick. 

I am also going to make a raspberry glaze to drizzle next to each slice when I serve it.  That is easy too:

(picture by Cookstr)

Raspberries
Sugar

Heat the raspberries on low on the stove until they break down.
Add sugar as desired to make a syrup..stir, stir, stir.  Done.

You can also purchase raspberry syrups or just eat the cake without it.

I just want to give a shout out to all of you who are feeling very lonely this Christmas.  I know that many of you are alone and I really prayed for you as I made the icing tonight for this cake...you know who you are.  My heart breaks for you.  Sometimes, even when we have a house full of family and friends we can be lonely too.  I guess if we can just remember that the REAL reason for this holiday is the birth of Jesus and the wonderful blessing and GIFT that He is for each of us, that helps, right?  Wished I could give you a hug right now!

So, go get your apron on and make yourself some cake.  You will love it, I promise!  Oh and for you Baptists out there...it's ok..the Kahlua alcohol evaporates lol.  A good strong whiff of it never hurt anyone ;)


Merry Christmas to you all!
and Merry Christmas Mom...I miss you.

Kristine

3 comments:

Mariaelena said...

Thanks for sharing...need to try this out...sounds delish!!...love the photo of the recipe!!...come on over for a quick Christmas visit...Yesterday I posted our kitchen reveal...check out my Christmas tour too...Merry Christmas to you and enjoy your special weekend and your cake!!...Mariaelena

dee dee said...

Merry Christmas!
Dee Dee

Alison said...

I framed my mothers handwritten recipe cards with nice frames from hobby lobby and used scrapbook paper as a mat. I loved how these turned out.