Monday, September 19, 2011

Corn Husk Wreath::Tutorial


Any straw wreath will do...I purchased mine at Hobby Lobby.


The corn husks can be found at your local grocery store.
OR if you are married to a farmer in the midwest, you can just go out your door.


Floral Pins are from Hobby Lobby.  These are found in the floral department near the floral ribbons.


 Simply tear strips of the corn husks like this...don't worry, they tear easily and aren't too tender....any size strips you desire.





I liked mine about this size.



I started to pin each one down and then I wised up...


and bundled them into 3's and 4's and pinned them...this went a lot faster.


 I am a genius. LOL


Just keep working your way around the wreath overlapping to your desired bushyness (is that a word?)
Crafters probably use it all the time.


Here is the finished product.  I simply tied a ribbon around it and hooked it up on my front door with a wreath hanger.  It looks better over time as the cooler and more humid/wet weather makes it crinkle and curl.
Anyone else hungry for Mexican food now? ;)

SOOOOOO EASY! 
Kristine

21 comments:

ANNE said...

Hi, visiting you from Metamorphosis Monday...! love your wreath, never seen anything like it... i've got a straw form, i'll have to give it a try! Great for fall.

Sandy said...

Oh I LOVE LOVE LOVE this! and yes I am getting hungry for Mexican!

I had to crack up at your word "bushyness" LOL !

mississippi artist said...

You are a genius-I never would have thought to use those corn husks from the Mexican food section.! Your wreath is darling!

At The Picket Fence said...

I absolutely LOVE your corn husk wreath Kristine! We are just 2 peas in a pod, aren't we? :-) It looks beautiful!
Vanessa

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Yes, You are a geneus! I have corn fields all around my house. Thanks.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Soooooo Pretty! Love it! Martina

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

Love it! And yes, I'm always hungry for Mexican food!

Leslie said...

I love this idea. I have a bunch of corn husks leftover from a burlap and husk table runner I sewed last year. now I now how to use them up. Thanks!

BitsAndPieces said...

Kristine, I like your wreath and so many of the accessories in your home. What wonderful changes you have made to the house! I had a great blog visit looking at all the improvements.

Sandy

once in a blue moon said...

looks great~

Christie said...

I saw your entrance and LOVED it...got lost in blogland and knew I would get back over here soon! It is so lovely and has inspired me to do something fall festive! I love the wreath, too! Christie at Three Pixie Lane

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Flea Market Makeovers said...

Love this!! How many bags of husks did it take? I just signed up to follow you, you have a wonderful blog!

Erin {Lavender and Lemon Drops} said...

Love your wreath! It totally screams fall :) Great Job!

Barb said...

Awesome wreath!

Ginger Zuck said...

I love this!!! Got to try it. Thanks so much. Have a wonderful weekend!

Amy said...

So simple, natural, and pretty! I'd love for you to link it up to my door decor challenge:

http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/09/falling-for-crafts-challenge-3-door.html

Honey at 2805 said...

This is a terrifice wreath. I like it that the wreath is more "fluffy" than most of the corn husk wreths I've seen! I like your take!

Thank you so much to linking to Potpourri Friday. Your participation is appreciated!

Sherry said...

What a great fall wreath! Thank you for linking it up at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Ellen said...

Beautiful wreath, with a whole lot of pinning. Great tutorial.
Hugs,
Ellen

Amy said...

This wreath is featured on One Artsy Mama's facebook page today! :) Thanks for linking it to the door decor party!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/One-Artsy-Mama/197166243647708

Erin @ How to Nest for Less said...

Just beautiful!! I'll definitely have to try making one of these :)