Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Fireplace/Mantel Decor Changes

**Ok...little bit of trivia...is it mantLE or mantEL?

Well, I have been wrong...so sorry about that.  I always try so hard to use proper grammar.

According to the internet vocabulary on google:

Though they stem from the same word, a “mantle” today is usually a cloak, while the shelf over a fireplace is most often spelled “mantel.”

So, onward and forward...with something learned today lol.  **

Some of you who have followed my blog for a while will remember that this is what our family room looked like after we took possession of the house.  Actually, this room is clean compared to what it looked like when we took possession...a time I don't want to ever go back to.  It took us 3 entire days to clean out this house with everything that was left.  At least two large dumpsters full!


With the help of our contractor and a wonderful carpenter, we had a new mantel built.  The new mantel certainly brought a brighter look to the room and it also helped to break up all of the brick. 



Here was round one of the mantel decor and recently I have done a few changes...

I found this old rusty wheel at the local antique store and I just thought it was such an interesting piece...my husband was stunned that I actually paid money for it...lol.


We have had this old milk can for years...we have two more around the house in the front entrance and in the hallway.  I think they definitely add a vintage touch.  I can't wait until it is warm enough to light a fire here.  Soon I will be changing this mantel again to add a touch of fall decor to the room, but my decorating "clock" tells me to wait until after Labor Day...not sure why.  I may have to drag it all out  of the store room and take inventory to prepare because I don't really want to wait! 

We finally got some rain today...so thankful.

Hope you are having a great day.  Oh, almost forgot to mention, my camera seems to be making my pictures kind of fuzzy so I apologize.  I need to figure out what setting it is on...and change it!
My old camera that I loved was dropped on the mountainside in Colorado this summer and soon after was placed to rest...bummer.

I'm linking up to:


Happy Day!

Kristine

34 comments:

Sherry said...

This is beautiful! I love your changes!
Sherry

KAT said...

very nicely done ! I am impressed and inspired
KAT

refresh reStyle said...

Your mantle looks fabulous! I wish I had a sailboat like that!
Debbie

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

The change is amazing! Happy WW! Hope to see you on my blog:)

CropaCabana said...

Saw you at Clean and Scentsible..

This is beautiful! What a difference it makes. I bet your just loving it!

Patricia

BluBabesCreate said...

Okay the little girl will always be cuter than the mantlepiece, but you guys did an AMAZING job! Thanks for sharing and come on over!

Tanya said...

It looks gorgeous! Great job.

Revi said...

Wow! I love the change. Kudos on your Mantle Displays. They look just right - not too busy, not too plain.
I'm visiting from White Wednesday...
-Revi

Designing Domesticity said...

Oh wow! Beautiful! I love the changes! liz

Designing Domesticity said...

PS. am your newest follower!

Debi said...

wow..I have the EXACTLY the same fireplace and mantle..looks so dark..I love your idea..it really brightened things up..now if I could just find a husband and/or wonderful contractor! lol

tableandtop.com said...

The transformation came out great. Love the changes!

'Please visit our new website www.tableandtop.com'

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Love your new mantel. Looks great and I like both ways you decorated it. Thanks for sharing at WOW.

Honey at 2805 said...

Your new mantel looks great and is so beautifully decorated!

Hope you will bring one of your projects or posts to my first Potpourri Friday Party this week - Friday, September 2. Link-up starts on Thursday afternoon. Without a doubt, your participation will help make the party better!

Fabiana ~ Ciao Newport Beach said...

Kristine, I love what you did with the mantel. The last picture is fabulous!

ciao

Coley said...

What a transformation! Love the new color and style!!

Brittany said...

This looks so great! I especially love the branches. Nice work on the whole project!

Nayana said...

This looks beautiful...what a difference.

lvroftiques said...

Looks great! I think you have a way with the mantel. I find it notoriously hard to vignette properly....But all of your incarnations are wonderful. And the new fireplace surround was the perfect addition. I can see your home is lucky to have you! *winks* Vanna

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Oh my gosh I'm so glad you shared this at the party! Looks amazing. The accessories are perfect too.

Heaven's Walk said...

Isn't it amazing what a little floofing of your mantel can do to a room? lol! Love the changes you made - and can hardly wait to see what you do for autumn! :)

xoxo laurie

Honey at 2805 said...

I'm back to comment again. And don't worry about that mantel, mantle thing. Wait until Chrismas and you will see it spelled a few more ways. It is beautiful and so is your little helper!

Thank you so much for linking to Potpourri Friday and helping to make it a success! I appreciate you, my friend.

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Oh, I love the mantel surround, love how it did break up the brick! You decorated the mantel so neat and I'll be back to see how you put the autumn touches to it!

At The Picket Fence said...

Hey friend! Your mantel (that's the correct spelling right?LOL!) looks just gorgeous! That last picture looks like something out of magazine. :-) Thanks so much for sharing this (and your mudroom) with us at Inspiration Friday this week!
Vanessa

kelly@refresheddesigns. said...

What a fabulous makeover! I love the soft whites and wood together. Found you via Shabby Creek Cottage. Stop by anytime!
Kelly

Erin {Lavender and Lemon Drops} said...

WOW! I love this fireplace makeover. I love the white paneling that goes to the ceiling and the dark brick that you left unveiled. AMAZING! Great Job :)

A Cottage Muse said...

What a beautiful mantel and I love how you have decorated it! I would have paid money for that ol' wheel too!

Ellen said...

No matter what way you spell it, it is g o r g e o u s...enjoy!!! The wheel is such a great touch.
Hugs,
Ellen

White Whimsy said...

Wow! What a transformation. You did a great job.

Sherry said...

Thanks for joining HSH!
Sherry

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

What an awesome fireplace transformation! That was so cool to see! I love your mantel display too! Your comment about your hubby not understanding why you would pay money for the rusty wheel cracked me up! My husband it the same way. One time when I brought home a wonderfully chippy old cabinet he was horrified and said they should have paid ME to take it away from them, lol.

Fishtail Cottage said...

Love the way it turned out! & all your personal touches making it your own! Bet you keep walking by loving your creation! xoxo, tracie

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

From Nautical Cottage Blog...accidentally got deleted:

Looks wonderful ~ great job! I love the old rusty wheel...sounds like something my hubby would say :O)

Have a beachy weekend.

Hugs,
Marie

Custom Comforts said...

What a beautiful mantel and fireplace. Your home looks so lovely and charming, full of great light and spaces.
Cindy