Thursday, June 30, 2011

I'm No Betsy Ross but...

I made my very first bunting!  I think I was a little too ambitious with this project because I don't sew at all.  I got my inspiration from Heather over at At the Picket Fence.  She just recently posted about a cute little bunting project herself.  She (like me) doesn't sew and wished she could.  Those of us who don't sew are really good friends with iron on tape and of course...pinking sheers.  Thank goodness my MIL gave me her very sharp pair to borrow for this project.  We had a  lot of cutting to do as we put a strand of these on 5 sections of fence in front of the house.

Here you go...here's how I did it:

1.  Pick your fabric of choice (two coordinating fabrics).
2.  Cut them into a double triange (with the seem at the top)  You can cut them with the fabric folded.  My measurements were 20 cm by 29 cm.  You can make a template for yourself using cardboard and then mark on the fabric with chalk or lightly with a pencil (just enough for you to see a straight line to make your cut)


 3.  Put your string of choice in the center fold.


 4.  Fold it over.


5.  Put a safety pin just under the string attaching the two sided piece of fabric together


 6.  Use the other fabric of choice scraps to tie a bow on the safety pin
   (this totally covers up your non-sewing abilities LOL and well, it's just plain cute)


7.  Now do this again a bazillion times and then you are ready to hang it! 







No, it's not perfect and yes, it looks a little non-sewy and does it slide around a little...yes, but do I love it YES! 

This was a fun project and the kids helped cut and attach the safety pins so it was truly a family project.  I love the results.  It may not last past this 4th of July, but that is ok...we are not expecting any rain so that should help keep it perky.

I'm linking up to At the Picket Fence
for Inspiration Friday
Cindy's Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday
French Country Cottage
The Charm of Home
Common Ground for the Vintage Patriotic Party

Would love to know what you think!

Kristine



11 comments:

Barb Nichols said...

This is a really cute idea! I love it!

Pam said...

Betsy would be proud! I like your idea of the safety pin. I was trying to figure out how to make one two sided without sewing and this would solver the problem.

At The Picket Fence said...

So cute Kristine! I love the bow on it and the fabrics you chose. Thanks for the shout out. :)

Heather (At The Picket Fence)

All That Glitters said...

So pretty! I love bunting!

Debbie~ said...

Darling idea, I like that you found a way to get around not sewing! If you wanted, you could add some iron on tape to hold it together, but it really is fabulous just the way it is! I love bunting too, I have some up too, shhh, don't tell anyone,it's plastic from the dollar store. :)Have a wonderful 4th.! Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

Gayle said...

I am lovin them!!! I wish I would have thought and done this around my porch. Oh well, maybe next year.

Sherry said...

Kristine,
That is super cute! I love the fabrics and colors you picked for it. This type of decoration for the holidays is such a treat, we have all seen what the stores have and this is a wonderful new look. Thanks for linking it to Home Sweet Home and have a great 4th weekend!
Sherry

Debra @ Common Ground said...

So cute and you did a great job. Perfect for the 4th! Thanks for sharing the inspiration! xo Debra

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

Very cute....loving the gingham!!!

24 Corners said...

I just realized that your vacation was at Estes! I didn't put two and two together before...silly me! Hope you were able to check out Steve's site, I find it so cool that you were just there!
I love your bunting...it's sweet and very patriotic, and for a non sewer, you did fabulous! I don't sew either and this didn't seem too challenging...thanks so much for the tutorial!
xo J~

Terry said...

This turned out very pretty for you and so festive for the 4th!