Saturday, June 25, 2011

Estes Park, Colorado

Every other year we head to Estes Park for our family vacation.  We love it there.  Just as it is getting REALLY hot here, we leave town and head to cooler Rocky Mountain temperatures...70's in the day and 40's at night.  We like to hike, eat, hike, shop, hike, eat, and did I mention eat?  We also feed a few chipmunks (it is allowed by our cabins so), go horseback riding and of course we always go up Trail Ridge Road even though I am terrified of heights.  It is a very fun vacation...relaxing and peaceful.  The cabins we stay at have no television or phone and there is barely cell phone reception.  Work is turned off and so are the Nintendo DS's!  I thought I would share a few pictures so that you will know why we love this place...so here goes...









 One fun thing we like to do is acquire trail patches.  Just about every trail we have hiked with the kids has a patch that you can purchase downtown. So after the kids finish a trail, we head downtown to eat a great meal and buy the patch.  That evening, I sew the patch onto each of their ballcaps and they think that is so cool!  This is such an inexpensive treat for the kids that they love!












Many times in the evenings, the elk come down from the mountains and bring their herds to large fields like this one.   For some reason, we have video of the elk, but not very many good pictures.


Each time we go to Estes Park, we head to the Alluvian Fan which is a great spot to snap photos of the kids.

We will be heading there in the next few weeks and are anticipating lots of water in these streams because of all of the snow that RMNP has gotten this year.  According to some of the reports I have read, many of the trails we hike are snow-packed still.  Hopefully, by the time we head there, much of it will be melted.

Have you ever been to Estes Park?
Would love to hear from you.

I'm linking up to Snapshop Saturdays.

and



Happy Saturday,

Kristine

12 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

I took a journey through your pictures! Loved those!

Saturday Snapshot

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Awesome snapshots! It looks like a great place for a family vacation. No I've never been there. Thanks for sharing your hide-a-way. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Kristine, what fabulous shots. I feel like I've been on vacation.

Kay said...

I have been to Estes Park. We went there many years ago when our daughter was still young, maybe 4 years old or so. I loved it. Well, I love all of Colorado. We stayed in some little hotel that was very rustic. Saw the hotel that the Stephen King book, THE SHINING, supposedly based on. I have pictures, but they are packed away right now. My, that was probably 25 years ago. Your kids look great and I know that you guys have a great time. Such a gorgeous part of the country. A true Rocky Mountain High!

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

I've never been to Estes Park but it looks like a wonderfully serene place for a real getaway vacation. I loved the picture of your son and the chipmunk! :)

shopannies said...

awesome pictures looks like a great place to visit come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Bev Hankins said...

Beautiful shots that make me want to go back. We went there five years ago for a Scout trip. One of my favorite places!

Here's my Snapshot: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/06/saturday-snapshot-june-25.html

24 Corners said...

What a beautiful area! Love the chipmunk picture...I didn't know they could be so friendly! I wonder if our squirrels would do that?!
xo J~

Michele Smith said...

Beautiful pictures. We have never been but I can see it would be amazing. Your kids are adorable. I LOVE that picture of your son with the chipmunk, too cute!

Alyce said...

Those are all gorgeous photos! I love the idea of trail patches too.

Andrea said...

Wow, I've never been there, but I'd sure like to go now. Those are some beautiful photos.

Marsha said...

Hey Kristine,
I've been to Estes Park several times...probably 5 times (1960's and 1970's). We took a lot of western trips when I was growning up (I live in Alabama). I can remember walking around Bear Lake and several times there was still snow on the ground. One year it snowed while we were there...in either June or July! I love your chipmunk picture!! I can remember feeding them candy bars....they loved our Nestle' Crunch bars. I have a picture of those chipmunks...not a super picture like yours, though. I still have a sterling silver bracelet that I bought one year and also a pair of turquoise earrings from another trip.
Thanks for the nice memories.
Marsha